martes, 21 de diciembre de 2010

Ólafur Arnalds

I'm bitter today. And freezing cold.
It's -5 degrees outside and I just spent the past 4 hours standing outside, on a train station. I was literally hurting cause of the cold. I'm much better now, I managed to get into a train and am now happily sitting on the floor.
As is normal every time I have to travel back home, snow wreaked havoc on the european transportation system and everything paralyzed. Being a wise man, I planned ahead this year and got a train ticket to Paris one day before my flight. Lucky me, I would have lost the flight otherwise. Still, I don't wanna count my eggs before they hatch. There's so much than can (and probably will) go wrong between now and tomorrow's flight :)
Anyway. this is about photography, so let's get onto that.

The topic at hand today is Ólafur Arnalds.

_DS13165-2010-11-25.jpg

That's him up there, "Oli" playing his piano. If you are not familiar with his music, I couldn't recommend it enough. Whatever your musical tastes are, I believe no one can fail to appreciate his music. It's not easy to classify him though. He's from Iceland, so he definitely has some of that "icelandic sound" going for him... but you'd be mistaken if you thought he is just another Sigur Ros clone. What he does would be best described as "modern classical" with a touch of electro.
Bottom-line is he produces some of the most beautiful melodies you'll ever hear, using a piano, a quartet of strings and a computer.
With music, it's easier to just listen and form your own opinions though. His myspace is: http://www.myspace.com/olafurarnalds

His concert was absolutely beautiful. Magical. They had spread carpets and pillows over the floor, so everyone could sit comfortably and just enjoy the music.
And enjoy we did!!.

Photographically, though, it was hell for a photographer. On the one hand, you had to deal with the fact that everyone was just lying on the floor, so moving around was not an option. I had to shoot everything from the spot I was sitting in. That was not all! to make it worse, his music is so dynamic, that when it's soft, it's really soft. Soft enough for a camera going off to be a problem. I could only take pictures in the "heavy" parts of the set. The added complication of that being that since the light show was synced to the music, I just got pictures of the "crazier" parts. The mellow parts were awesome too. Believe me :)

_DS13164-2010-11-25.jpg
Some of the girls from the string quartet.



_DS13193-2010-11-25.jpg
The rest of the quartet.


I don't think there's much else to say about this concert. Just go and become a fan of his music. It's really worth it.

Oh, yeah. I have a thing with musicians. It's REALLY easy for me to see a girl playing an instrument and not fall for her.
This was not the exception. I fell in love with the cello player at first sight.
Of course, my favorite picture of the set is one of her.
Here it is:


  _DS13183-2010-11-25.jpg

Until next time, hopefully from sunny Buenos Aires.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario